- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole green cardamom pods
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 3 cups water
- 2 single-serve black tea bags or 1 tablespoon loose black tea (Darjeeling is good)
- 2 tablespoons of sweetener or less depending on taste and what type of sweetener you use. Stevia, monk fruit sweetener, real maple syrup, or raw honey all work, choose depending on preference and health issues.
- 1 cup low-fat milk (or almond, rice milk)
- Place cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger, peppercorns and water into a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to let steep for 10 minutes.
- Return pot to the heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add tea, cover and set aside to let steep for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids, then return liquid to the pot.
- Stir in sweetener and milk and heat over low heat for 1 minute.