Enjoy this Holiday essential without the bread!
6 hearty servings
- 4 Tbs. ghee or bacon grease
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 - 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 8 oz chopped mushrooms of choice (I've used chanterelles, baby bellas, or shitakes)
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 and line two baking sheets/glass baking dishes with unbleached parchment paper. Put the cauliflower on one sheet, and the squash on the other. Toss the cauliflower and squash each with 1 Tbs. of melted cooking fat.
- Roast until the cauliflower is tender and has golden brown edges, about 30 minutes. Stir halfway through. Roast the squash until golden and tender, stirring halfway through, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the last 2 Tbs. cooking fat in a heavy skillet. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, over medium head until soft and almost caramelized.
- Add the garlic, cook for a minute. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, add the diced apple and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened but still firm. If necessary, add another tablespoon of fat.
- Finely chop the herbs. In a large serving dish, toss together all the components: the squash, cauliflower, and mushrooms. Season with the herbs, salt and pepper.