- 2 cups dry roasted (or toasted) almonds, pine nuts or walnuts (I also have great nut-free pesto recipes!)
- 4 cups fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint. (Fun to try with mint though i have made this with and without)
- 3 cloves (or could use 1-2 and still tastes great)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: if you want to add cheese use 1/2 cup grated Parmesan-reggiano or Romano cheese and add less salt)
- Combine the herbs with nuts, pulse a few times (if you are using walnuts or almonds instead of pine nuts, pulse them a few times first before adding the basil). Add the garlic (and cheese if using). Pulse a few more times.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the blender or food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides and add a bit of water if necessary or a squeeze of lemon. Add a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. It should be a creamy smooth texture.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze for later
- Mix in spoonfuls to whatever you have around that need a little something (greens, zucchini, beets, pasta, rice, toast, etc). Have fun with trying it on something new!!