2 1/2 cups
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 Tbs. bacon grease or ghee
- 8 oz. diced portabello or baby bella mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 3/4 cup stock/broth of choice
- Optional: 1 tsp. arrowroot flour, to thicken the soup
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1.In a soup pot, saute the onion in the ghee over medium heat until starting to caramelized, about 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the mushrooms and sauté until golden and softened, about 5 minutes.
2.Add in the coconut milk and 1 1/2 cups of broth (carefully, it will splatter). Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low head for about 15 minutes, until mushrooms are soft.
3.Puree using an immersion blender or a standing blender. Add an additional 1/4 cup of broth if desired to thin the soup.
4.If a very thick soup is desired (such as for a Green Bean Casserole), combine 1 tsp. arrowroot powder with 1 tbs. of water. Place the pureed soup back in the soup pan over medium heat, and whisk in this slurry. Cook for a minute or two until thickened.
5.Season soup with salt and pepper.