- 8 cups water
- 1 large napa cabbage, sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced, rinsed well
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in warm water and sliced (2 cups after rehydrating)
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 inch ginger, sliced into large slices
- 1/3 cup white miso
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (fresh chili paste)
1. Heat water to boiling. Add cabbage, leeks, shitake mushrooms, carrots and ginger.
2. Return to boil and then reduce to a simmer.
3. Simmer for 45 minutes or until cabbage, carrots and mushrooms are soft.
4. Remove from heat and add miso and sambal oelek, stirring until well incorporated.
-Remove the ginger before serving.
-You can add the Shiitake soaking water to the soup.