- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about ½ of an average-sized head)
- 1 tsp. unrefined sea-salt
- 1 medium-sized cucumber, (peeled and seeded if you like), and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (add slivered carrots too if you want!)
- 1 to 2 tsp. minced jalapeño pepper
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar + 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. maple syrup, or more to taste (optional)
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger, (optional)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I love this but leave out if you don't-- same goes for adding scallions or red onion)
- Mix cabbage with salt in medium bowl. Place plate on top of cabbage, and weight with heavy can. Let stand 30 minutes to soften cabbage.
- Stir in cucumber, spinach, red bell pepper and jalapeño.
- Mix vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil and ginger, if using, in small bowl.
- Add to cabbage mixture, and mix well. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature to allow flavors to blend before serving.